Tonight my family took a ride to Old Orchard Beach to get pizza and Pier Fries. I used to go to Old Orchard a lot during the summer when I was younger, but I’ve only been a couple of times in the last 10 years or so. It looks a lot different than it used to, more family-friendly, I think.
Lisa’s vs. Bill’s
As I said, we went down there for one purpose – food. I’ve always loved Lisa’s Pizza, but I know more people who prefer Bill’s Pizza, located across the street. So my son and I decided to do our own taste test – a slice at Lisa’s, and then a walk across the street for a slice of Bill’s.
Our experiment went well. How could it not, with pizza involved? After our taste test I think I still prefer Lisa’s, although Bill’s was really good too. I asked my son which he preferred and he said he loved them both. I think I heard more moans of pleasure when he was cramming the slice from Lisa’s into his mouth, though. He inhaled them both so quickly, I wonder if he tasted them at all.
Arcade and Pier Fries
Then we went to the arcade, where my son went through five dollars in approximately two minutes. At least he had fun. While we were there, a kid cashed in his tickets from the games for a drone. I asked how many tickets a drone cost – 45,000 tickets. How long did the kid save his tickets? Four years. He must be a regular at the arcade.
On our way back to the car we got a pint of Pier Fries. I know people love these, but I could take them or leave them. My wife and son liked them, though. Most people like them with vinegar but we went with ketchup.
A few things I noticed since my last visit to Old Orchard Beach:
- A parking meter cost 25 cents for 8 minutes. That’s ridiculous.
- Pizza was over $3 a slice. Last time I was there it was $2.25. I spent over $20 for five slices of pizza and a water.
- Pier Fries used to be on the pier, and then near the pier. It seems to somehow keep moving further away.
- It wasn’t very crowded there. Maybe it was the time of day, or time of year.
- The arcade is big but has a lousy selection of games. Of course, my idea of fun games are Pac-Man, Centipede, Space Invaders, etc. They did have Ms. Pac-Man (and we played it).
We want more pizza
We had a good time, and the pizza was great. I still think Lisa’s Pizza is better than Bill’s, but my son and I decided we should visit Old Orchard Beach again later this summer to make sure.